This is one of the methods to create a custom reduced collider mesh using Autodesk Maya.
Video tutorial: Reducing collider mesh for UE cloth simulation
- Export FBX from UE with LOD’s option selected.
- Import FBX file into Maya.
- Remove all unused LOD’s from the original mesh (Mesh0)
- Optionally, disconnect LOD visibility node.
- Duplicate Mesh0 to create a new Mesh2 to modify.
- Unlock Mesh2 and unparent
- Hide Mesh0
- Specific to MetaHumans:
- For the Face: separate Mesh2 and delete unwanted components (eyeballs, eyelashes, mouth, etc.)
- Merge Mesh2.
- Modify and reduce Mesh2 as required.
- Cleanup Mesh2
- Select Hierarchy for the entire skeleton
- With skeleton hierarchy selected, select Mesh2
- For the Rigging option selected, select Skin – Bind Skin menu command with these options
- Select both Mesh0 and Mesh2
- Select Skin – Copy Skin Weights menu command with these options
- Select the skeleton (root) and Mesh2
- From the menu, select File – Export Selected and export your reduced FBX file
- Import the new FBX file into UE and select corresponding skeleton for your character mesh. E.g., if you’re using a MetaHuman character select
- Face_Architype_Skeleton – for the face, or
metahuman_base_skel – for the body. e.g.
- Add your reduced meshed to their collider slots.